JAKARTA, PROPUBLIK – President Joko Widodo ordered all government agencies to prepare for emergency responses after he received reports of aftershock following a strong earthquake measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale that jolted East Java province on Saturday, April 10, 2021.
Head of the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) Doni Monardo reported that there had been some aftershocks in East Java after a strong earthquake jolted Malang regency and its nearby area yesterday.
“I have received a report earlier that there was an aftershock this [Sunday] morning,” the President said as quoted by the official website (setneg.go.id) of the Ministry of State Secretariat.
He made his statement at the Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java, Sunday, April 11.
Jokowi said he has ordered all levels of government, starting from the Head of BNPB, the Head of the Search and Rescue (Basarnas), the Minister of Social Affairs, the Minister of Health, the Minister of Public Works and Public Housing, the TNI Commander, the Chief of Police, and the local government to immediately take emergency response measures.
Jokowi also instructed all relevant government agencies to continue to search for and find earthquake victims, who were crushed by rubble, apart from providing adequate care for injured victims from the impact of the earthquake in Malang.
“I on behalf of the government and all the people convey my deep sorrow for the victims who died,” said Jokowi.
The President reminded that Indonesia is geographically located in the Ring of Fire area where seismic activities are likely to cause natural disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis at any time.
“I remind the governors, regents and mayors to continue to urge the community to strengthen cooperation and increase preparedness and awareness of disasters,” he said. ***